Vocational Dance Course
This course is designed to nurture, develop and maximise the dance potential of each individual pupil, providing them with the versatility and skills necessary for today’s professional dancer.
- Full academic curriculum plus:
- Dance training based on classical ballet
- Classes also given in modern, jazz, tap, national and contemporary
- Seniors also receive drama and singing tuition
- Gyrotonic and pilates instruction
- RAD and ISTD examinations
- Annual showcase performance at Theatre Royal, Kings Theatre or Royal Concert Hall, Glasgow in June
- Performance based on students’ own choreography in December to develop creative skills
- Regular workshops from visiting artists and companies
- Support given by physiotherapist visiting twice weekly
The Dance School has a long association with Scottish Ballet, providing young dancers for many of their productions.
Tuition fees: FREE – fully funded by Scottish Government to children resident in Scotland. (Regrettably we cannot take students from outside of Scotland)
The pupils have timetabled dance classes for one and a half hours within the normal school day. In addition specialist pupils have ‘late’ classes until 5.45pm, Monday to Friday .The amount of hours spent on dance increases as the pupils progress through the school, building to approximately 22 hours in the senior school. Some Saturdays are required for rehearsals or exam coaching.
Throughout the training programme, classical ballet underpins the dancers’ development. In the formative years, this is supplemented with creative movement, corps be ballet class, movement dynamics and spatial awareness class, conditioning, and drama, which assists with expressive movement and artistic development.
Further dance genres are introduced into the curriculum from the third and fourth years: modern, tap, jazz, contemporary and choreography, repertoire, pas de deux and singing.
Contextual studies are provided at all levels to provide the pupils with knowledge and understanding of music, anatomy and history. External dance exams are taken in RAD classical ballet and ISTD modern, national and tap.
The pupils are assessed yearly to ensure that their development is secure and career advice is given during the latter years to ensure that each pupil is directed onto the appropriate dance path.
There are regular opportunities to work with guest teachers and choreographers, many of whom are currently involved in the professional dance world. All of the pupils participate in the annual choreographic competition, various small- scale performances and the main summer production, which is held in one of Glasgow’s top venues, the Theatre Royal.
The school not only aims to develop young dancers’ key dance skills that will enable them to pursue a successful professional career, but also a high level of confidence, enthusiasm, passion and commitment to dance. At the same time we are committed to providing pastoral care of the highest order to ensure that youngsters are fully supported.
- MTC Summer Show – Legally Blonde
- Annual Dance Showcase 2018
- School reopens 5.3.18
- Audition Dates 2018
- Preparatory Theatre Course Panto 2017
Search this website